Algarve Granfondo is the Official Granfondo of the Volta ao Algarve, one of the best cycling stage races in the beggining of the season. The 2016 edition of Algarve Granfondo will take place on 21st February, coinciding with the last stage of the Volta ao Algarve.
The Algarve Granfondo is an unique chance to enjoy the beautiful landscapes of Algarve, the Europe’s most famous secret.
Taking place in early cycling season, the Algarve Granfondo has two route options:
-For those who are in good shape all over the year, the organization proposes the Granfondo: 135 km with 2600 meters of cumulative elevation gain. This option includes five climbs: Rocha dos Soidos, Alto do Malhão – where finishes the last stage of the Volta ao Algarve -, top of Caldeirão, Barranco do Velho and Clareanes.
- For those who prefer to start the season in moderate pace, the best option is the Mediofondo: 83 km with 2300 meters of cumulative elevation gain, which includes the climbs of Benafim, Barranco do Velho and Clareanes.
The start will be given at the center of Loulé, at 9:00. The arrival is scheduled for the same location. The consecration of the winners happens, however, on the podium of the Volta ao Algarve, on top of Malhão.
The Granfondo and the last stage of the Volta ao Algarve will have a timetable compatible in order to ensure that the participants in Granfondo can watch the final stage of Volta ao Algarve, a race with some of the best teams and cyclists in the World.
Taking part in the Algarve Granfondo is a chance for the amateurs cyclists being part of the Volta ao Algarve.
Find more information at:
- http://www.visitalgarve.pt/Mountain Biking
- Algarve, Europe's most famous secret
- Guide to Nature Tourism in the Algarve
- Guide to trails in the Algarve
- Algarve Map